Skip to main content

Live a Peaceful Life

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercessions and thanksgiving be made for EVERYONE - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants ALL men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."  1 Timothy 2:1-4

At 2:40pm, on April 15 of this year, two bombs exploded at the Boston Marathon killing several and inflicting catastrophic injury on others. In the hours that followed we learned that two brothers were responsible - Tamerlan and Dzokhar Tsarnaev. 

At our church, the choir sings a song called 'There's Power in the Name of Jesus'. We were rehearsing it shortly after the bombing and something caught me in the words this time. They go something like this:

"A mother barely twenty out there on her own,
A teenage boy in prison, before he's even grown." 

A teenage boy. In prison. A BOY. Nineteen years old. His face is as familiar to us all now as the faces of our own family. The teenager we love to hate... The media and our legal system will tell us that he is an adult and will be tried as such. But any mother who has ever raised a son will tell you...at nineteen, he is still a boy.

Whether he had died from his injuries or whether he is executed for his crime, his life is over. At nineteen. His brother has already entered eternity with a lost soul. 

Shortly after his capture and arrest, someone asked me how, as a nurse, I would feel about taking care of Dzokhar in the hospital. I admitted it would be difficult but, as a Christian, I hoped that I would be able to demonstrate a measure of compassion. Because here is the kicker: Jesus died for Tamerlan and Dzokhar Tsarnaev, too. He desires that Dzokhar not perish. He is included in the ALL of 1 Timothy 2:4.

When we see and hear of these horrible events, whether they happen on our soil or across the world, we pray for the victims without a second thought. But what about the perpetrators? Who prays for them? Who asks Jesus to change them? 

Paul tells us to pray for EVERYONE. Why? So that we might live peaceful and quiet lives. The answer to violence in our world or acts of terrorism is not tighter security, stricter immigration policies, or a peace treaty. The answer to the lack of peace in this world is the Prince of Peace - Jesus Christ. Only when He enters in will peaceful and quiet lives be found.

The song goes on:
"A nation needing mercy, fighting for her life"        Oh, yes, we are.
"A church that needs revival...."                           Oh, yes, we do.

"BUT in the name of Jesus those chains of bondage fall.
Prayers are heard and answered when God's children call.
There's power in the name of Jesus..."                  Oh, yes, there is!

"There is hope, there is strength, and victory to claim"   Hallelujah!
"There is healing....."                                            Heal us, Lord.

There is victory in the name of Jesus - and healing - and we can know it because He that is in us is greater than he who is in the world. We cannot live in fear. WE HAVE THE POWER. The power that raised Jesus from the dead lives in us! (Romans 8:11; Ephesians 1:19-20) The power of His Name is in those of us who are called by His Name and we exercise it when we pray. 

Pray for the Dzokhars of the world. Pray for those in authority. Pray for your neighbors. Exercise your power. Live peacefully.

Click the link to hear the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0KQgMLfHE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer!