Skip to main content

Daily Grace

I have a sweet friend at church who recently gave birth to a beautiful baby boy. In addition to this child, she has a little daughter named Grace. When she returned to work, she entrusted the care of the new baby to her mother who posted her excitement on Facebook. I would like to quote her post, "Loving my new job! [My grandson] is the perfect baby and I get to see Grace everyday! Man, it doesn't get any better than this!"

I had to turn this one over in my head a few times... We should all be so excited... We should all be seeing Grace everyday. Of course, not the person Grace, but God's grace. Yet we run headlong into our day with blinders on our eyes. Or maybe we are so overwhelmed by a circumstance that we just can't see past it and we forget the graciousness of God.

Isaiah 30:18 says "The Lord longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion..." God doesn't just kinda want to show us grace - He LONGS to show us grace. He RISES to show us how compassionate He is.. and, yet, we forget..

Ephesians tells us that it is God's grace that saved us. We had nothing to do with it other than accepting it as a free gift. God so longed to show us His compassion that He rose to the occasion and gave His Son so that we could experience His grace...every day. Ephesians 1:7 says that we have forgiveness of sins in accordance with the RICHES of God's grace...every day. 2 Corinthians 12:9 tells us that His grace is enough...every day. Ephesians 2 says that He has raised us up and seated us in the heavenly realms with Jesus. Not that He is going to - He already did. And you know why? So that he can show us the INCOMPARABLE riches of His grace...every day. And I could just go on...

Are you experiencing daily grace? Do you get to see Grace everyday? Oh, that we would realize what we have been and are being given. Then we could say with Grace's grandmother, "Man, it doesn't get any better than this!"

Dear Jesus, Open our eyes to see the gift you have given us. Help us to experience Your grace daily. Help us to recognize Your compassion. You are too wonderful for words. Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Leaving Your Nets

Matthew 4:20 "AT ONCE they left their nets and followed Him (Jesus)."  Matthew 4:20 records the response of Peter and Andrew to the call of Jesus to be his disciples. They literally walked off the job and into ministry. We have the advantage of viewing this story with hindsight and the scripture, but Peter and Andrew were in the moment... Jesus was a hometown boy, a carpenter. He hadn't really started his ministry, yet. Surely he had been preaching in the area and the disciples knew what kind of man he was. But still... Fishing was a major industry around the Sea of Galilee and most fisherman belonged to family owned business. Can you imagine old Zebedee's face when somebody walked in his "office" and told him Peter and Andrew had taken off with the new preacher? How do you go home and tell your wife that you walked off the job for a ministry with no pay? How do you feed your kids? Their security was gone. Their income was gone. Possibly a few r

Love's Pure Light

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12 I have a confession.  I have been more than a little 'bah humbug' this year. I don't really know why. We are settled in our new house this year. Grandkids have come and gone and are still coming and going. It's been a beautiful, tropical Florida Christmas season. We did a great program at our church. And, yet, I'm just not feelin' it...  Until tonight. Tonight was our annual Christmas Eve candlelight service at church. It is undeniably one of my favorite services every year and is always packed. Tonight was no different.  During the weeks leading up to the holiday, our pastor has been preaching a series of sermons called "The Light of Christmas" from the first chapter of John. Our Christmas musical was also themed around the light. And tonight, I saw the light. Because I was singing with our Praise

Devotion to Prayer

"Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving." Colossians 4:2 Prayer has never come naturally to me. I have always felt awkward in prayer for some reason. Over the past year, I have finally come to the conclusion that in all my years as a Christian, I have never really learned how to communicate with God properly. Not that I haven't made valiant efforts. I have had beautiful prayer journals. Sections for specific days and topics. I have written out my prayers (I still believe that helps me concentrate). I've used all the acronyms and prayer plans. But in the end, I look at it all and think, "If one of my friends communicated with me this way, I would toss them out the door." Some days I feel all I do is bring my wish list to God - admirable though it may be - and ask and ask and ask. For now, I'm done with asking. Color me ecstatic when I learned our little Bible study between online Bible studies was going to be on prayer!